Looking for an examination copy?
If you are interested in the title for your course we can consider offering an examination copy. To register your interest please contact firstname.lastname@example.org providing details of the course you are teaching.
Construction grammar (CxG) is a framework for syntactic analysis that takes constructions - pairings of form and meaning that range from the highly idiomatic to the very general - to be the building blocks of sentence meaning. Offering the first comprehensive introduction to CxG to focus on both English words and the constructions that combine them, this textbook shows students not only what the analyses of particular structures are, but also how and why those analyses are constructed, with each chapter taking the student step-by-step through the reasoning processes that yield the best description of a data set. It offers a wealth of illustrative examples and exercises, largely based on real language data, making it ideal for both self-study and classroom use. Written in an accessible and engaging way, this textbook will open up this increasingly popular linguistic framework to anyone interested in the grammatical patterns of English.Read more
- The first comprehensive introduction to formal construction grammar that focuses on both general and idiomatic constructions of English
- Bases its wide range of examples and exercises on real language data, in line with current teaching trends in the field
- Uses straightforward language to engage non-native as well as native speakers, and draws on current trends in English language pedagogy
Reviews & endorsements
'Adopting the traditional perspective that constructions are at the heart of the grammar of English and other languages, Kim and Michaelis provide a detailed introduction to English syntax within the Sign-Based Construction Grammar framework (SBCG). They consider all the main syntactic phenomena of English, and in each area consider both what is assumed and why it is assumed. The book is a valuable addition to textbooks on English syntax. Anyone who learns about syntax from it will end up with considerable knowledge both of English syntax and of the SBCG framework.' Bob Borsley, Emeritus Professor, Department of Language and Linguistics, University of EssexSee more reviews
'This is a thorough, textbook introduction to classic topics in English syntax, from raising and control to clefting. It needs to be praised for at least two reasons: it satisfies those who are keen on formalism but do not subscribe to the generative model and it brings to the fore the importance of constructions in syntactic analysis.' Cristiano Broccias, Professor of English Linguistics, University of Genoa
Not yet reviewed
Be the first to review
Review was not posted due to profanity×
- Date Published: July 2020
- format: Hardback
- isbn: 9781108470339
- length: 366 pages
- dimensions: 251 x 176 x 24 mm
- weight: 0.75kg
- availability: In stock
Table of Contents
1. What is a theory of english syntax about?
2. Lexical and phrasal signs
3. Syntactic forms, grammatical functions, and semantic roles
4. Head, complements, modifiers, and argument structures
5. Combinatorial construction rules and principles
6. Noun phrases and agreement
7. Raising and control constructions
8. Auxiliary and related constructions
9. Passive constructions
10. Interrogative and wh-question constructions
11. Relative clause constructions
12. Tough, extraposition and cleft constructions
Sorry, this resource is locked
Please register or sign in to request access. If you are having problems accessing these resources please email email@example.comRegister Sign in
You are now leaving the Cambridge University Press website. Your eBook purchase and download will be completed by our partner www.ebooks.com. Please see the permission section of the www.ebooks.com catalogue page for details of the print & copy limits on our eBooks.Continue ×
Are you sure you want to delete your account?
This cannot be undone.
Thank you for your feedback which will help us improve our service.
If you requested a response, we will make sure to get back to you shortly.×